Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Day 6... Not going hungry yet...


  This looks like the cookstove I had for a time back in the 70's...it was the love of my life, even if it's co-owner and I didn't turn out to be a forever kind of love. It took, as I recall, (well--it WAS the 70's! )   6 big farm boys to carry in the cast iron top because it was thicker than the one in the photo.  It was made by the Sears Roebuck Company. That round spot on the front of the door was the heat indicator and it read  COLD--WARM--HOT.  lol  It took some practice to learn to use it, but it made the best bread in the whole wide world.  It kept the house warm all winter. It smelled so good all the time. It had a water reservoir over on the far right side and warming cupboards up top.  I baked everything imaginable in those days (and still do, kinda) .  People (especially my inlaws) thought I was insane for even wanting that monstrosity in my house. Of course, they thought I was insane for a lot of reasons, and that probably was the least of them. lol  They were farmers. An old family of farmers that had lived on their land for over  a hundred years. Commercial farmers--soybeans, wheat, corn...raised pigs and cows. Sprayed every godawful chemical on their acreage that was known to man. Anything their Farm Service guy told them would be better for--yield, weeds, bugs-- they bought it all and that's what they all did back then. And then came the crazies (me) who started talking about organic methods and no pesticides and they screamed and yelled and said that won't work !!  I remember one time, he came on our place when he thought we were both gone (I was hiding in the house) and sprayed pesticides all over my beloved peach trees.  I nearly had a seizure ! I called my husband screaming and crying and went outside and was told in no uncertain terms that I was crazy if I thought I could get peaches worth eating if I didn't spray for bugs and that this was HIS family farm by God and he'd spray whatever wherever he wanted.  (Looking back, that was probably the beginning of the end. lol)   BUT--I digress...I had a wringer washer too and hung my clothes out on a line to dry. Ah...the good old days...


  Pantries.  Oh right...lol


  Last night's supper was breakfast.  I didn't get to write this blog post last night because I lost my internet connection around 11:30 when I finally sat down to write.  By 1 AM it hadn't come back on and I had read about as much as my eyes could take for one night, so off to bed I went.  I dug through my box of potatoes from last year and found some nice sized ones, scrubbed them clean, pared and parboiled them. I had a smoked sausage in the fridge drawer and so I cut it into 3 inch pieces and then cut those in half, browned them in an electric skillet and set aside. Then I sauteed onions and red & yellow bell pepper , put the partially cooked potatoes in and set them to brown. In the meantime I fixed eggs and toasted bagels and had a fine supper. 

  
  Tonight I will have a simple supper because I will be gone all day. Tomorrow is himself's birthday...57 he will be. I will be making him a cherry pie, and I think I've decided on a pasta dish that is his favorite. It's called Aglio y Olio. I will make some soft garlic breadsticks to go with it and a salad.  I was going to share a recipe for a roasted vegetable pot pie for today. It is simple, tasty and nutritious.  It also uses up any root vegetables that need to be used lurking around the bottom of your vegetable drawer. One time (looking for more filler, I must admit) I diced up a sad looking apple and threw it in and now I NEVER make this dish without an apple. I have even used some of my dehydrated apples from time to time if I don't happen to have any left (--if the chickens got them all). lol   This recipe makes a lovely winter dish especially as it's comfort food at it's finest.   And it's beautiful...I make it sometimes for our vegetarian potlucks at the ecological center.

  I'm taking the easy way out today because I'm rushed, but here's the link to this recipe I have posted before, about 3 years ago.

https://dragonwomansmysticalmeals.blogspot.com/search?q=vegetable+pot+pie


It's a beautiful dish. I used my Christmas angel cookie cutter to do the topping. 





  Eat well my friends.  I'm off to the races...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...