Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Day 14...halfway there...



   Yes...it's Valentine's Day my darlings. Hope you all had a day filled with love.  I broke my no grocery store rule for just a second, as I ran in to pick up some dairy free coconut milk ice cream, asparagus and fresh raspberries. HEY !!--It's a special occasion !!  I thought about getting some steaks, but decided that the bulk of this special occasion meal still needed to come from the pantry/freezer.  I rummaged through and found some beautiful boneless pork loin chops...hmmm...  So, here was the menu:

  Coriander Crusted Pork Chops with caramelized Onions and Sauteed Apples.
  Blanched asparagus with brown butter and pepper.
  Mushroom rice pilaf.
  Multi grain artisan bread.

  Dessert was coconut milk ice cream with fresh raspberries.


  I found a bottle of Pellegrino sparkling water in the pantry, so we drank that too, with a floating slice of lemon. 


  It was magnificent.  The pork chops are coated in a honey, Dijon and spice mixture (coriander, cumin, pepper and ginger), seared for 2 minutes on each side and finished off in the oven for about 7 minutes. They were moist and tender and delicious.

  The rice turned pretty dark because I made it in the same skillet I had caramelized the onions in, but tasted great. I had some juices and oil in the skillet, added the dry rice and sauteed it until it started to pop. Then added the mushrooms, onions, celery. Once those have started cooking nicely, add the water and spices (I use thyme and garlic powder and black pepper). When it comes to a boil, lower the heat, put a lid on it and let it cook. Takes about 35-40 minutes.

   The asparagus was beautiful. Small to medium stems and a gorgeous green. I brought a pan of water to a boil, blanched them for 2 minutes and drained the water. They were the perfect crispy tender that asparagus should be ! Put some butter and a squeeze of lemon in and shook it about. YUM
Sprinkled a bit of fresh ground pepper on it on the plate.

  The bread turned out great--dense and chewy and delicious. I cooked it in my vintage Pyrex bowls with lids. I let it raise about 24 hours instead of 18, so I was a little worried.  But it is perfect.  


  Husbandman said that the meal was OUTSTANDING !  That's all I needed to hear.  lol


  I'm tired and have an early and long day tomorrow, so I'll end here. Bon Apetit, baby...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...