Sunday, February 5, 2017

Day 4



   It's been a busy day. Good busy. Lunch with my compadres, time with a friend. A nice evening in with my furry babes and the ultimate furry guy. lol   We had leftover onion soup and focaccia for supper while we watched Now you see me 2... Loved the first one and loved this one too. It's been one of those days that, no matter what, the blessings of my life are all around and in my face. 





   Next Wednesday is my true love's birthday.  The running joke goes like this: "What kind of cake do you want for your birthday ?"  "Pie."  So, cherry pie it is, and of course all the ingredients were bought at the end of last month as I did the final stock up of the pantry.  The highlight of my week is Saturday when the local advertiser arrives in the mail carrying the weekly Aldi's ad.  As I was looking at it today, he casually says--why are you looking at that ? Thought you weren't going shopping this month ?  I'm not, says I. For FOOD.   lol  You never know what wonderful gadget they may have on sale. I got my mango knife there. I also got my avocado slicer there. So you just never know. That's where I also bought 2 pair  (wish I'd gotten more) of the best wool blend socks I've ever owned.


  We had a hearty breakfast of oats with raisins and almonds for breakfast this morning Both of us had lunch out and then leftovers for supper. I have most of a 5 gallon bucket of oats in the pantry because it's a must have. Breakfast cereal, granola and granola bars, cake, filler for meatloaf, cookies and in an extreme emergency, you can actually eat uncooked oats. You know, if the gas was unavailable and power grids went down. I've often thought that you could use it to feed pets to, in an emergency. Short term.  Good thing to have. And pretty nutritious.  So today was an easy-on-the-pantry day.  I did get to thinking that I didn't buy anything fancy for our Valentine's Day supper. I usually do something a little outlandish and exotic because it's a special occasion. We rarely go out.  And this year it falls on a Tuesday...so, I might (not sure yet) buy some shrimp or scallops or even lobster tails for that. We'll see. On the other hand, I might just make chicken. lol

  So, I want to share a recipe with you that is a real favorite of mine. I make this cake to take to potlucks and for people's birthdays all the time and it's a hit.  I got the recipe for the Old Fashioned Oatmeal Spice Cake at my wedding shower when I was 17. I still have the original  index card that I copied it onto, and believe me (do the math)  the paper is old and yellowed around the edges, like me. lol  My neighbor in the little farming town I lived in (2 doors down) was one of those women that you always wish was YOUR mother..she was kind and loving and could do wonderful things. She sewed my first prom dress. She made my wedding dress. And she baked this cake, which was one of my favorites. She called it a poor man's cake.   It goes like this:
\


  Here the list of ingredients: 

1 1/3 cups boiling water
1 cup oats (whole or quick--not the microwave stuff)

 1 cup sugar
 1 cup brown sugar
 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter mostly, but original recipe called for shortening) 
 2 eggs

1 1/3 c flour
 1 tsp each--salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon


[The ingredients for the broiled topping: 1 stick butter, melted - 1 cup brown sugar- 1/4 cup evaporated milk- 1 tsp vanilla- 1 cup coconut-1 cup nuts (pecans or sliced almonds) ]


Okay--first pour the boiling water over the oats, mix with a fork and move it outta the way.


Then, I sift the dry ingredients together and put it aside.
That would be flour, salt and spices.


 Then, in a good sized bowl, put your shortening, sugars and eggs.



 Then get your mixer out and whip these last things together until good and creamy. Then pour in the softened oat and water mixture and mix that in well.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth and well incorporated.

  Bake in a 9x13 pan at 350 degrees until done.  Takes about 30-35 minutes usually.

 Take out of oven when done and in a small saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, vanilla and evaporated milk. When that's all melty add the cup of shredded coconut and a cup of the nuts of your choice.  Stir to mix well. Spread this out over the top of your still warm cake, and place it under the broiler.  Watch it carefully and don't let it burn !  It will make a lovely crispy caramel-ish topping.  I can't really give you a time on the broiling, because God did not see fit to create all broilers equal. lol  I sometimes have to turn mine a couple of times to brown it evenly. 

  Let it cool and serve. It's a lovely cake and I think you'll like it, if you're the type that likes spice cakes.




 It's quick, it's simple and it's easy on the budget. 

  And with that, I am hopefully off to bed soon...to sleep...perchance to dream...

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello hello !!! Hope you guys are well. I've been MIA for a while <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...