Thursday, September 29, 2022

How's the Pantry Challenge going, you ask ?

 

Quinoa,Corn and Edamame Salad
Happy Family Fried Rice
Taco Salads
Ribs 'n Taters 'n Green Beans
Aloo Patak


  Then there was smothered chicken last night, with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. The night before that was Caribbean stew, made with home canned pork loin. Tofu burgers for Meatless Monday. Chili on Saturday and still plenty of that leftover for omelets, lunches and whatever else. 


  It's been an interesting  [almost] 2 weeks of the Pantry Challenge. Have not felt any kind of a squeeze yet, which is good. Making more one pot kind of meals than normal, but I have been trying to do that anyway, to cut down on the amount of meat we consume. Still eating it, but less quantities and less often. Very helpful in this time of sky high prices. My little local market has  Porterhouse steaks on sale right now for 6.99/lb.  Boy, am I tempted to go buy a couple ! But... once I start cheating a little on this challenge, it will happen more and more often. And that defeats the purpose of the whole shebang. lol I have already decided that tonight's supper will be a healthy Egg Roll Bowl, a recipe of cabbage and onions and carrots and ground sausage and bean sprouts. That reminds me, I want to start my sprout jar today too. The fermented carrots are about done. Have had a problem (?) with Kahm yeast growing on it, and have cleaned it out twice. This time it will go into the fridge for snacks and salads. I'm done fooling with it.  The Kombucha, on the other hand has been going well. I have 2 bottles in the fridge now and the 3rd batch since I started brewing it again is on the counter. Now that it's so much cooler, the process is taking much longer. Gives me time to drink the stuff that's already made.  lol 

  

  The weather has finally cooled down here, we're having 40 degree nights and  65-70 degree days.  Almost good soup weather. You can feel the changes in the earth's energies as the world begins to slow down a little.  I find it a relief, although the past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic for me. Today I am home all day, with no commitments and time to do whatever I choose.  That has to include a little householding, as the dog hair is rolling down the hall like tumbleweeds in a Sonoran desert. The Galloping Goofballs (new twin kittens) are wreaking havoc with any and everything, now that they're finally healthy and old enough to jump and climb and run. They are a constant source of amusement and fun. 


  OK.  I am going to get dressed and eat some breakfast. Then I'll start some hard boiled eggs in my little Egg Wizard machine. I like having hard boiled eggs to munch on or use with salads.  I have 4 dozen eggs in the fridge right now.  Cooler weather means himself is eating more oatmeal and less eggs. Healthier for him, more frugal for me. I'm going to check the cupboard and see if I have any sugar free jello left.  That makes a better dessert option for me and my blood sugar than the leftover orange bundt cake.  lol   My numbers are staying very good, so I'm not too worried.

  

  Off I go...

1 comment:

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...