Friday, May 23, 2014

Old fashioned Oatmeal Spice Cake

 This is one of my favorite last minute cakes to bake with stuff that is always on hand. The recipe I have came from my childhood neighbor, given to me at my wedding shower. (The friend who had the shower bought me a beautiful recipe box and asked all the invitees to bring their favorite recipe for a new bride.) lol  Even though I was only 17,  I'd already been cooking for years, but I got a lot of nice recipes and a little piece of each of these women to keep with me through the years. It was a lovely thought--we should do this kind of thing more often. Sharing and caring...the gift that keeps on giving.

 Anyway...I hadn't made this cake in a while. I was baking things like Italian Cream Cakes, Mandarin Orange Cakes, German Chocolate Cakes.  Fancy Almond Espresso Cakes. Nothing as everyday and ho-hum as an old spice cake.  Then one day I was looking through my old recipe box and came upon this recipe and thought--I should make one of these.  I haven't had a spice cake in years...nobody makes them anymore.  Then there was a potluck or a birthday coming and I whipped it up. Everyone,  and I mean EVERYONE raved about it.  At least 4 people said--you HAVE to make this for my birthday !!  And a new legend was born.  lol  Thank goodness, it replaced that wonderful, labor intensive, expensive Italian Cream Cake as everyone's ask-for cake.  lol

  Here the list of ingredients:

1 1/3 cups boiling water
1 cup oats (whole or quick--not the microwave stuff)

 1 cup sugar
 1 cup brown sugar
 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter mostly, but original recipe called for shortening) 
 2 eggs

1 1/3 c flour
 1 tsp each--salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon


[The ingredients for the broiled topping: 1 stick butter, melted - 1 cup brown sugar- 1/4 cup evaporated milk- 1 tsp vanilla- 1 cup coconut-1 cup nuts (pecans or sliced almonds) ]


Okay--first pour the boiling water over the oats, mix with a fork and move it outta the way.

Then, I sift the dry ingredients together and put it aside.
That would be flour, salt and spices.

 Then, in a good sized bowl, put your shortening, sugars and eggs.


 Then get your mixer out and whip these last things together until good and creamy. Then pour in the softened oat and water mixture and mix that in well.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth and well incorporated.

  Bake in a 9x13 pan at 350 degrees until done.  Takes about 30-35 minutes usually.

 Take out of oven when done and in a small saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, vanilla and evaporated milk. When that's all melty add the cup of shredded coconut and a cup of the nuts of your choice.  Stir to mix well. Spread this out over the top of your still warm cake, and place it under the broiler.  Watch it carefully and don't let it burn !  It will make a lovely crispy caramel-ish topping.  I can't really give you a time on the broiling, because God did not see fit to create all broilers equal. lol  I sometimes have to turn mine a couple of times to brown it evenly. 

  Let it cool and serve. It's a lovely cake and I think you'll like it, if you're the type that likes spice cakes.



Bon Apetit !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...