Tuesday, March 14, 2023

We do like to eat...

   A few days ago I made a nice supper of pork chops and scalloped potatoes. Dishes like this can be a bit of a challenge when you live in an almost completely dairy free household.  Husbandman has a bit of a problem with dairy really messing up his sinuses, so he doesn't eat cheese or milk products of any kind. (Except butter. He does like butter, other wise, I'd have to throw him to the wolves.)  So, I have experimented with different kinds of sauces for the scalloped potatoes. My favorite so far was mushroom broth I had canned, it was superb ! It changed the color a little bit, but that didn't bother me a bit. This time I used a lovely vegetable bouillon that I picked up at the Dollar Tree, made by Leaping Leopard,  from Turkey. It's quite good.  I am out of home canned vegetable broth and this made a  wonderful substitute. A couple of folks have asked for the recipe, so here goes...


 The one problem I had was that the potatoes didn't cook as much as I would have liked and the pork chops too much. So I'm going to give you directions on how to do it right, and not the way I did it.  lol  Also, I cooked these in the airfryer oven.  If you can, please use your oven.

  You'll need:

  5-7 large potatoes
  1 large onion
  Sea salt and Pepper
  2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
  3 T corn starch dissolved in 1/3 c. water
  Pork chops with Pepper and garlic powder

 A 9x13 pan for 8 or more pork chops  or an 8x8 for 6 small or 4 pork chops.  And that's if you use boneless pork loin chops. If you're using bone-in, go with the bigger baking dish.  Spray it well.

 About 5-7 good sized potatoes.  If using russets, peel and slice thin.  If using reds, scrub and slice thin.  Thinly slice 1 large onion.

  Make the sauce with the vegetable broth and cornstarch and set aside. 

  Season and brown the pork chops in a little olive oil. DO NOT OVERCOOK.  

  Layer the potatoes and onions in the baking dish, pour the sauce over it all.  Layer the pork chops on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  When the potatoes are tender, remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes or so, until the chops have a healthy browned color.  Serve with your favorite vegetable side. 

 Bon Apetit !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...