Thursday, July 7, 2022

Week 5 : Mama, will we ever be able to eat meat again ?

 




After watching a few Zombie movies, you might never want to eat meat again.  lol

  I wanted to talk about stocking your pantry with meats from the grocery store, since I know a lot of people don't can.  In my humble opinion, it's worth learning how to do, but that's me. The initial investment can be a little pricey for a pressure canner, jars and rings, but it doesn't have to be. I know people who have found jars and canners at thrift stores and flea markets. But, back to the subject at hand. You can always freeze fresh meats you find on sale, if you have a freezer. I do and will buy things specifically to freeze. However, freezer life is limited, so that should be meats you are eating regularly, not storing.  Other items I can for shelf stability and I've told you a little about that.  But if you're not a canner, you can still keep your pantry stocked with some good sources of protein for your family's diet. So, let's look at some affordable options.


  If you're a sales shopper, like I am, keep an eye on the in between pages of your grocer's sales papers.  You know the part-- where the vegetables and ketchup and stuff is.  A lot of times you'll find great prices on things there.  The Dollar Store also is a good place to find items, as is Big Lots. I'm not a Walmart fan, but they do carry the cat litter I like, so when I'm in there, I scan the shelves for sales. Here's a list of things I look for, things I know I can build a meal around that my family likes.

1) Canned fish. Tuna, mackerel and salmon. The canned portions are much cheaper than fresh, and check the BBD (best by date) and will keep in your pantry for as long as 2-3 years. They're good sources of protein as well as Omega-3's and other nutrients.  I always buy tuna packed in water, unless the oil packed is crazy cheap (then I rinse it before I use it).  All 3 are good for making sandwich salads, croquettes, casseroles or loaves.  I keep 10-20 cans of tuna in my pantry at all times and rotate it as I use and buy more. I usually have 5-6 cans of salmon and mackerel there as well. We'll stick  oysters, clams, sardines and anchovies in here as well.  I do have canned oysters and clams in my pantry, that I use to make a seafood chowder. No anchovies for me, but I do have a couple of tins of sardines in mustard sauce in there.  (Not sure why.  LOL)  

2) Canned chicken. Several companies make a canned chicken breast in small cans that you can buy. They are a little pricey, but they are available. Dark meat is also available, and costs a little less.  Chicken is a healthy protein source. These can be used for chicken salad sandwiches (no cooking required)  or to make soups or chicken and dumplings or enchiladas or anything else you would make with cooked chicken. Can also just be eaten out of the can in an emergency.

3) Potted meat.  This stuff is not one of my favorites, but if you're hungry, you'll be grateful for it.  It is a deviled ham product, all seasoned and ready to go. Great for sandwiches.(If you have bread).  It's inexpensive, it's a source of protein and fats and the tiny little cans don't take up a lot of space. We'll stick those Vienna sausages in here too in their cute little cans. 

4)  Meat soups and stews. These are always handy, and you can doctor them up a little if you need to (I do).  There are ready to eat beef stews, chicken and dumplings, bean soups with ham and a whole lot of other things. All that is required is dump and heat and there you are. There are canned sloppy joes, different Chef Boyardee pastas with meat, and other similar items you could consider too. Again-- just be sure it's stuff your family will eat. Don't waste money (even on a sale) if it's not useful to you.

5) Canned beef and pork. Can be used in all sorts of meals and are convenient. Probably not something you'd buy for everyday use, but handy just the same.

6) Canned hams and bacon.  I always pick up the little funny shaped cans of DAK canned ham when I see it. It's great for so many things, tastes good and keeps well. I dice it up and brown to serve with scrambled eggs. Use it in beans.  Use it for sandwiches. I'm not a big fan of canned bacon, but it might work for you. Then there's the good old Spam and Treet,  2 canned meats that have been around since the 1930's. They're making a comeback and are versatile enough to use in many recipes.  Again, good sources of protein that can give you some versatility in your meals.


  So, there are some ideas of things to look for.when you're thinking about the meat and protein part of pantry stocking. Hope it's helpful. I have canned pork loin, ground beef, roast beef, chicken of all sorts, and corned beef that I always keep on my shelf. Last week I found some pork loin on sale and canned up some more of that. High protein, low fat...and useful in so many ways.  Maybe I should have added beans in here too... but I think I'll save that for next time. 


  Bon Apetit, babiees...

2 comments:

  1. First of all, love that meme, I've used it several times on my canning posts ha. It's silly but gets a point across...maybe not zombies but hurricanes, storms, earthquakes, winter blizzards, even just random power outages for whatever reason. These are some great ideas. I think I've mentioned but one of our MUST HAVES in our house remodel or build will be a LARGE pantry. I want us to be self sufficient. Thanks for these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-- we all need to be more self sufficient, I agree.

      Delete

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...