Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Week 2. Building up a stocked pantry

 



  About once a month, if the budget permits, I try to buy a case of some item (usually a specialty item) that I use a lot.  Sometimes it's shelf stable tofu, sometimes it's organic full fat coconut milk, sometimes it might be a soba or rice noodle. This month it was time to buy more brown rice, so I toodled on over to Amazon and hooked myself up with a 10# bag of Brown Basmati Rice, and a 2 pound jar of Tahini. I know that all households eat differently, and here we try to eat at least a couple of meatless meals a week.  Having been a vegetarian off and on throughout my adult life, it's usually not too hard for me to come up with ideas.  We also have a very liberal palate(s) when it comes to trying new foods or foods from other countries. For instance, I have made cold soba salads, Vegetable Pad Thai, Peanut Butter Tofu and a number of other exciting foods. I have cookbooks with recipes from India, China, Africa, Ireland, France, Korea, Japan, and England.

  This week I want you to think about Beans and Rice for your pantry. These staples of many countries around the world, complement each other nutritionally and are a must have. Who doesn't love cornbread and beans ?  I keep dry beans, canned beans and home canned beans in my pantry at all times. Right now, my pantry has Pinto Beans, Navy Beans, Black Beans, Adzuki Beans, Lima Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Kidney Beans, Red Beans and  Cannellini Beans.  You can find these beans at any grocery, some at Dollar Generals, and just about anywhere.  The cost ratio per serving is amazing and the nutritional punch is awesome.

 https://beaninstitute.com/bean-nutrition-overview/#:~:text=TYPE%20OF%20BEAN,371

I always keep a couple of gallons of dry pinto and Navy beans on hand. I also home can each of these for convenience sake, because it takes time (and fuel) to cook a pot of beans. Especially if I want a smaller amount to make burritos or refried beans for a meal. Handy. I have canned garbanzos, but usually I just buy a case of them at Aldi because my life needs simple sometimes.  lol  So many vegetarian meals you can make with garbanzos (chickpeas).  They are a staple in many middle eastern foods in places like India, Africa and Egypt.  And they care crazy good for you. I make my own Hummus and  Falafel. 

  I keep a variety of rices in store as well.  Brown rice, which doesn't keep as long or as well as white does, but is much healthier, Jasmine rice, Basmati rice and sometimes wild rice.  This way I can have a variety with meals. Most of my life I have never used a rice cooker until about 5 years ago and now I can't live without one.  If I had to though, I could cook rice on the stove.  lol  So, there's your challenge for week 2.  Rice and Beans.  The recipe I want to share is Chana Tikka Masala. It's a traditional Indian recipe that is chock full of tasty nutrition.  If you are not fond of Indian food, skip this.  But if you're on the fence, or don't know, give it a try.  It's simple and it's mouth watering. It's vegetarian, and with the rising cost of meats, we all need to start eating less of it and expanding our palates.




  Chana Tikka Masala

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 14 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup water, as needed to thin the sauce
  • (2) 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

FOR SERVING

  • 4-5 cups cooked white or brown rice
  • chopped cilantro, parsley or green onions

Instructions

  • In a large pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
  • Now add the spices, salt, tomato sauce, coconut milk and drained/rinsed chickpeas. Stir until smooth and combined, then simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Taste; add more salt or spices as desired. Serve immediately over rice.

2 comments:

  1. Annie, it’s me Annette! I’m so happy you are doing this! I just ordered my jar of Indian spices and I’m going to make this! I have a houseful of people living here and I’m trying to figure out how to stretch the budget. I’m so happy you are back!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, my friend !!!! I think we're all trying to stretch that food budget ! I'm so happy to see you !!! <3 <3

      Delete

Please leave a comment ! I love hearing from you...